Saturday 20 October 2007

Diving In Lanzarote

I've had various diving experiences in Lanzarote - my try dive was there and the following year I completed my open water course and then a few months later my advanced open water course.

I've shore dived, jumped in from jettys, rolled in from the back of ribs and climbed down steps in full dive gear, surrounded by nudists in Mala!

Depending on what time of year you go there's a great variety of wildlife to be seen. Angel Sharks visit the island and lay quietly on the sandy floor in wait for they potential prey. One of the best memories of my try dive was one such specimen.

If you are lucky, rays can be seen if you are visiting at the same time as them. These graceful animals glide out of the deep to visit the shallows. I've been lucky enough to see small Eagle and Electric Rays and even a 6 foot sting ray in the Canaries.

I've also managed one to see a large Grouper. The instructor was so keen to show us this fish under the rock that he couldn't understand why I wouldn't settle on the sand next to my companion. He became frustrated and signed me to descend to the sand and look under the rock. I signed to look where he wanted me to settle. He suddenly took the hint and moved my buddy to a safe distance then uncovered the 4ft Electric Ray that he'd been trying to get me to sit on! Never just take your instructor's word for it - look first!

If you are around the rocks then there's always the chance of Eels and of course hundreds of small flatfish and other small fish abound wherever you go, plus shoals of Barracuda.

If you are thinking of diving on a family holiday, Lanzarote is well worth visiting.

No comments: