Thursday 25 October 2007

Playa Blanca Beach Diving

I had a chance in Lanzarote to go diving in Playa Blanca, almost an hour's drive away from where I was staying. Usually I dive with a local dive outfit just 5 minutes away, but this trip was arranged by one of the entertainment team and seemed too good a chance to miss.

I was budied with the guy from the entertainment team as all the others on the trip were taking part in a Discover Scuba Diving trip, so on another dive. At about 15m the dive leader saw a large grouper hiding under a rock and started to settle us all down onto the sand. Jan, my buddy settled into the sand where pointed and Dave, the dive leader signed for me to do the same.

Right where he pointed I saw a pair of eyes staring up at me and a long, thin tail. Not fancying disturbing a sleeping Angel Shark or Ray, I signed back no, look there. A bit of confusion reigned - Dave no doubt thinking I was thick - then suddenly he realised why I wasn't moving, pointed me to settle elsewhere and hastily moved the rest of the divers, before cautiously uncovering my first ever electric ray.

A lovely sight, thankfully it didn't get to have me as it's next victim!

No comments: